Wednesday, March 5, 2014

It's almost spring - right?

We're busy gearing up for #5's appearance (in less than 7 weeks - eeeeh!) and I'm having to relearn patience.  I'm ready for her to get here, but I know that she needs to bake for a little bit longer, so I'm trying to be patient and enjoy life with only four kiddos - it'll never be like this again.

The kids are coming right along with their school work.  We only have four full months left (we go through the end of June) and while it seems like a long time to go, I know that with #5 making her debut and then having about 8 weeks of school left will make for an interesting end of year push.  Thankfully, they're all doing pretty well in all of their subjects and are thoroughly enjoying the units that Ryan puts together for them.

One really cool thing he did a few weeks back was having a week all about the "Importance of Play."  Book work and worksheets were not allowed for the week, only playing.  So for math, the kids played store (and had to create real receipts with the proper amounts), played board games, and played math bingo.  They spent a lot of time outdoors playing in the yard and some afternoons with some friends.  It was a LOT of fun!!  At the end of the week, they talked about why playing is so important and also why doing some worksheets or book work is important.  I think they all learned some valuable lessons and that learning is indeed fun!

I'm trying to come up with some fun things for us to do for these last six weekends before #5 arrives.  I would LOVE to take them to the Zoo, but not sure that's a great idea for an 8 month pregnant lady who was on modified restrictions for four months.  Whatever we do, I want to make some great memories with just the four of them.  Especially since Doodle Bug and Lulu are now 11 (and a half) and 10 - they're growing up quickly and their days of wanting to spend time with us are limited.

In preparation for my maternity leave, I'm starting to shift my duties to my co-workers (who are AWESOME!!) and it's keeping me quite busy. 

Ryan's been staying busy as well (on top of being a homeschooling dad and devoted husband).  He's started his own blog where he interviews various board game designers, publishers, and artists.  His interviews are very in depth (they're not just surface questions) and he's been putting in a lot of late nights to get them posted online.  He's posted a lot of really good interviews already and is preparing for probably a dozen or so more to post between now and the summer.  It's been a great project for him and he's been receiving a lot of good responses for 'board game geeks.'

Seems like that's a recurring theme in our family "busy, busy, busy."  But I know that one day we will not be so busy, and we will not have all five children in the home.  While it's very stressful and trying at times, I'm trying to enjoy it. Watching my oldest two girls growing up makes me realize how time really does fly by.  In 7 years, our oldest could be out on her own, with Lulu right behind her. Makes me want to tear up!  But, as I'm reminded by a very wise and dear friend, this is what we prepare them for their whole lives - to be separate and functional human beings, who are hopefully adding love into the world and following the Lord with their whole hearts.  That is my prayer, that they do follow Him with all of their hearts, minds, and souls.  Can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment