The kids and I went grocery shopping yesterday afternoon and each child had a dollar they could spend thanks to Memaw and Pops (my parents). Gareth found some sour gummy worms that he really wanted. The girls didn't find anything and said they'd hang onto their money for a bit.
We finished our shopping and headed to the check out only to find six or so lanes open. Each lane had at least four people waiting in line, so I knew we'd be waiting for a little while. Gareth asked if he could have his candy and I thought "Sure, why not. That'll keep you occupied while we ait."
So he eats almost half of the bag of gummy worms. By this point, there's only one person in front of us at the check out. The girls decided they were going to get some giant Hershey's candy bars (Yum!) and had them all ready to put on the conveyer belt. Well Gareth's eyes became huge and he decided he really wanted a big chocolate bar, too. I started to tell him that he already chose his bag of candy and has already eaten half the bag, so he can't have a chocolate bar, too. He doesn't see my point and starts to get a little antsy, I can see he's about to start throwing a royal fit. Hadassah comes up and says "Mama, you can give him my chocolate bar. I'll take his gummy worms." Well, I'm almost in shock. "They're halfway gone, do you realize that, " I ask. To which she replies "Yes, that's ok." And still I'm just staring at her like "Who's this sweet little angel? Giving up her HUGE chocolate bar for probably 15 sour gummy worms? That's so selfless of her!"
So Hadassah traded her big chocolate bar for Gareth's half-eaten bag of worms. Later she told me "I didn't want him throwing a fit in the store. Besides, I don't really like chocolate bars that much anyway." Well, this girl has her Mama's sweet tooth. I KNOW she loves chocolate bars, she's just being incredibly sweet to her little brother. Then she asks me "Is that what God would've wanted me to do?" And my heart just melts. I tell her that's exactly the kind of attitude God wants us to have, sharing with people, showing our love.
I'm just amazed at this little person. What a little lady she is becoming!
No comments:
Post a Comment