Thursday, October 31, 2013

Hallow's Eve

It's fall, which means it's time for three of my kids to have their annual check-ups (Lulu is the only odd ball not born at the end of the year, so she has to wait a few more months for her appointment).  I'm always amazed at how quickly they change and grow.  Doodle Bug is now 8 inches shorter than I am - 8 inches!!  She's only estimated to be 5 feet 3 inches tall, shorter than I am (thanks to not growing for over 6 months after her battle with Kawasaki)  - but still, the gap is getting shorter every year. 

Little man is only six inches shorter than Doodle Bug. He'll tower over her in just a few short years. I didn't get a chance to see Buddy Boy's measurements, but he's up to Little Man's shoulders already and is only 11 pounds lighter.  Buddy Boy will be my biggest kid by far - in the sense of "he's just a big kid - tall and has his daddy's wide shoulders".  

Now that I've updated on my oldest and two youngest, I'll update on Lulu.  Her soccer season is already coming to an end and she has grown SO much as a player this year.  She scored her first goal, during a game, a few weeks ago and was SO stunned!  She's been more aggressive (in a good way), isn't afraid of the ball, and is building her confidence up.  Her coach wants her to play again in the winter and spring leagues - I don't know if our schedules can handle that - so we'll see.

School is going smoothly.  Little Man has four pages left in his 2nd grade math book - he's a math whiz.  Where the girls excel in reading (Doodle) and writing (Lulu) - he's a math man and it really amazes me.  The girls are doing well in math as well.  I've instituted a new math notebook called a 'toolkit' where the kids write down math tricks, definitions, examples, etc.  It's something they'll start building this year and will continue building it as long as their are pages in the notebook - if it runs out, we'll buy a new one.  This has really helped the kids with geometry (area and parameter calculations of shapes, fractions and decimal equivalents, prime numbers, rounding, etc.).  I found it on a blog this summer and wish I'd known about it years ago.  SUCH a huge help.

We're in the middle of a constellation unit and the activity the kids have loved the most, so far, is making constellations out of marshmallows and toothpicks.  I'm sure it's because they all love marshmallows, but it has helped them form a connection with the single stars and the creative pictures they make.  Lulu made a model of the constellation Lion and when we went out to view the stars that night, she found that very constellation in the sky and was SUPER excited. 

That's what it's all about - being excited about learning and hopefully instilling a life long love for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment