Friday, August 17, 2012

Snickers and Science

Anytime you can incorporate food into your science  unit, it's a win - trust me on this.

After a busy weekend and a rather long science unit spread over a two day period, the kids were getting a little antsy when we finished our rock unit last Sunday afternoon. They already learned about sedimentary rocks and made delicious sedimentary bars (aka 7-layer bars... SOOO good).  Next they learned about igneous rocks and made homemade popscicles (and I think we put in too much sugar... if that's even possible).  All they had left was to wrap up their unit with metamorphic rocks.

They watched some cute videos online and a Bill Nye episode (I LOVE him!) all about rocks.  So, it wasn't all baking, journaling, and worksheets.  But still, they were getting a little burned out.

But, I saved the best for last....I whipped out the snickers bars... 

Here, I'll explain why: Metamorphic rocks are sedimentary rocks (layered rocks) that have changed composition due to increase heat and pressure applied to them over thousands of years.. Snickers have clear definitive layers... chocolate (mmm), nougat (drool), caramel (drool some more), peanuts (grab a napkin, the keyboard is getting wet), and more chocolate... They were our sedimentary rocks.  But, I wouldn't let the kids eat them (I'm mean like that).

I made the kids draw the snickers, feel the snickers, and even smell the snickers (I told you I'm mean).  But still - they couldn't eat them.. oh boy were they whining!! 

Little Man finished his journaling first, so I brought him to the front of the room.  I asked him to tell me what sedimentary rocks were, then what metamorphic rocks were.  I asked him how we could change the snickers (sedimentary rocks) into metamorphic rocks.  "Put them in the microwave," said he.

"Let's try something else."  I brought out two heavy books and some waxed paper.  I put waxed paper on one book, his beloved snickers ontop, another layer of waxed paper over the candy, and a heavy book ontop of it all.  Then I asked him to gently step on the book, and rock side to side and back and forth.  He was applying heat and pressure!!  I think he thought I was crazy - ruining a good candy bar and all.  But what he saw when we lifted those books and waxed paper off of the candy bar was awesome... a smooshy, gooey, flat candy bar.  His eyes lit up.  "That's so cool!!  Look!!"

He showed his sisters then looked at me with his big green eyes and said "Can I eat it now?"  "Yes son, go forth and enjoy."  He said it tasted even better this way. :)

See?  Anytime you can incorporate food and science, it's a win all the way around.

By the way, the idea above was not mine (sorry, I'm just not that creative.. I steal... I mean, borrow.. other bright ideas.)  Here's where I found this unit (and the other Earth Science stuff we're doing this month) : http://www.squidoo.com/earth-science-unit-on-rock-classification  Check out her site - you'll be very glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment