Monday, April 23, 2012

Play Ball

Softball and T-Ball games are in full swing (no pun intended.. ok, maybe a little pun is intended). Doodle Bug is playing coach/girl pitch this year and it's actually very much like REAL softball - finally! She has had some challenges hitting the ball when the girls throw it to her (being a lefty is hard sometimes), but thanks to some great coaching, she frequently makes contact with the ball.

During her last game, she was at bat, hit on her second swing and ran as fast as she could to first base. During last season whenever she'd connect with the ball, it would usually go right to first base - so she'd be out before ever making it to the base. This time she hit it towards third base. The third baseman eventually got the ball and threw it to second, but overthrew it and it went WAY into the outfield. So, Doodle was able to keep running and made it onto second base. She's NEVER done this before - she was so excited! In addition to her mad hitting skills, she's playing catcher, center field, and left field and is doing great. She's running for the ball when it comes her way, she scoops it up and throws it in with some pretty decent accuracy and is loving it. 

Yesterday we were practicing in the front yard and she threw the ball super hard to me, but I missed it and she beamed me in the leg. My leg actually went numb for a second it was so hard - but it was so cool at the same time! She felt really bad about it, but after her realizing I was laughing, not crying, she got over it.

Little Man is playing T-Ball for the second year and he's having a good ol' time. He does a great job with hitting and running and has improved on his catching and throwing. Occassionally the ball will go between him and another player and instead of going for the ball, he just kind of looks at the other kid as if to say "You going to get that?" 

It's been a fun season so far - kids running to the wrong bases, kids hitting the ball and being too shocked to run to first base.. ahh, I love T-Ball.

The school year is coming to a close now and I have to admit - I'm VERY relieved. My class ends tomorrow, and thanks to Mr. Pell Grant, I won't be taking classes this summer - woohoo!! 

For those that don't know, I finished my AA degree in December, but am taking some other classes at TCC before transfering to university since I still receive free tuition. Oh yeah, and graduation is this Saturday. Not exactly excited about it, more like I'm excited for it to be over. But it's all good.

We're finishing up our weather unit with the kids and they're having a GREAT time. I was planning on making their final project be a weather broadcast that I'd film and post on YouTube, but I'm afraid so much time lapsed from the beginning of the unit to the end that it may not work out... we'll see. 

Lulu and Little Man have finished their math books (yes) and I believe their language arts and spelling as well. Doodle still has two units to finish up in math and is doing SO much better. But since these last three units have dealt with multiplication and division, we're taking a short break to visit the world of time, money, measurements, and geometry (the last two units). Something I think she'll enjoy much more and will hopefully keep her out of the "I hate math" funk she was in previously.

Lulu and Buddy Boy have been having fun as well. While the other two kids are busy playing sports, they're left up to playing on the playgrounds at the various ball games around time - such a hard life, but somebody's got to do it.

Oh, they've also been enjoying the newest member of the family (no, we didn't have another baby), our dog, Trooper. He's a beagle/cocker spaniel mix (although looks 98% beagle) and is a VERY good dog. He's very obedient, funloving, full of energy, and has a mad fascination with cats. We've had him three weeks today, and he is finally getting along with one of my mom's cats. They'll play a little bit, chase around the house, and I'm now waiting for that awesome moment when I find them sleeping together in one of the pet beds... that'll be the day. The other cat, crazy man - I mean Harry - is trying to stand his ground as top dog - I mean cat, and it's working. Trooper will bark like crazy at Harry, all Harry has to do is raise a paw to scratch Trooper and the poor dog goes running. It's quite funny - although I probably shouldn't laugh. I will say they've made progress - they can actually be in the same room together without barking/hissing - it's kind of nice! I'm hopeful for the day when all three animals can live harmoniously - we'll see if it happens. Hope and pray you're all doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment