Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Oh the joys of learning

Last night Doodle Bug was writing a thank you letter to someone and she did a very good job. When she was finished with it and addressed the envelop I told her "Do you realize that you just did school work?" She gave me this half blank half confused look and said "I did? When?" I told her "When you wrote that letter to Miss Nancy." She takes a second to think and says "Really?" I reply "Yes, you learned how to write letters and address envelopes this year. Remember all of those practice letters you would write in your workbook and the fake envelopes you would fill out?" "Yes," she replied "I don't think I want to write anymore letters."

Ha!

She has this mental thing about schoolwork being boring and dull. But the funny thing is, she'll spend her free time (if she's not playing) by adding up items in her pretend store, or writing letters to us, or even talking about inclined planes and rocks, without even realizing it! This is why learning is so much fun. It's SO diverse, interesting, and stretching. You can learn anywhere and anytime about anything! She's applying these precious skills throughout the day without even realizing it.

I hope someday she has a hunger for learning. There's always something new to learn, new to explore. Take God's Word for example. You can read the same chapter or book every day for a week and each day you'll learn something new. Repeat this for the rest of your life and imagine the richess and gold you can store in your heart about our great Teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment