Monday, March 22, 2010

'Tis the season for sneezin'

Softball is well underway and Doodle has her first game tomorrow night - I can't wait! She really hasn't played much since the season ended last May up until practice began at the beginning of this month, so she's quite rusty, but improving.
She has some great coaches, I think there are two official coaches then about three other dads that hang around to help with the kids. It's different than T-Ball last year, some for the better some not.. but they're also 'more grown up' now - they don't need snacks every game/practice or their names on their shirts even if I think it's cute :)

The kids and I have been reading through their children's Bible in the morning time and they've learned the first five books of the NT and are learning the first five of the OT. We have a CD by "The Bible Song Band" that lists the 66 books of the Bible, so I've been using that to teach them the books, it's great!

School break is over now and the kids are learning all about toys this week. Toys?! I thought this was school? Well it is, they're learning about the history behind their favorite toys like Barbie, GI Joe, Lego, etc. Learning about how they're made, how they've changed over the years and about what toys were popular 60 years ago and what's popular now. Can't wait to hear about it when I get home! Ryan's been having a blast getting it all prepared for them. All I have to say is I'm SO glad we have YouTube, the internet, and a computer at home. It enriches their learning so much.

I'm finishing up a study on Esther by Lenya Heitzig and Penny Peirce Rose. It's excellent! This is a book I've studied many times before, but the insight and self exmaination they show in their study is wonderful. I'm also reading through "Living by the Book" by Howard Hendricks and it's pretty great. Gives you quick and easy ways to study through the Bible. Some of my favorite tactics include reading the same book or chapter for five days - you always get something different out of the chapter, disect the text - look for prepositions, joining words, etc because they've been put there for a reason, and listen to the Word in audio format. Great stuff.

Spring is here and it's beautiful in deed, but as Doodle said "'Tis the season for sneezin'" In fact Lulu is at home sick today, not sure if it's 'hay fever' or a cold, but she feels rotten. Hopefully she'll feel better soon so she won't miss out on Doodle's games this week or the Spring parade this weekend.

I want to end on this verse, it was in my Esther study last week and just really spoke to me. It says it's good to receive wealth and health from the Lord, sure. But it's an actual GIFT to find joy in your work and to accept what He has graciously given to you in life. "And it is a good thing to receive wealth from God and the good health to enjoy it. To enjoy your work and accept your lot in life—this is indeed a gift from God." Ecclesiastes 5:19 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment