Since this weekend, we've seen a major change in Little Man. The once very strong-willed toddler is now becoming a wonderful little boy. He was throwing a fit about something before church and we've been working with him for a long time to calm down. The kids know that when they whine, it's an automatic "no" response, and that has helped. But he's so different from the girls. I keep forgetting that boys aren't generally as mature as girls are, so it may take longer for things to "set in" with them. Well, all of a sudden his fit stopped and he said "Mama, I'm going to be good now. I'm done with my fit and I'm going to behave now." It was awesome!! He's learning self-control! He's done this two more times since Sunday and it's just a joy to see. Of course, he gets smothered in kisses when he does this, that helps too :) Last night he was spending some time with my parents and my dad commented that it was so nice to see him so well behaved.
Speaking about self-control, I'm reading a study on Ruth (love it!) and was challenged to pick a fruit of the Spirit this week to begin asking God for and living it out. Well, I need more patience. Some days it overflows, other days it's as dry as a desert. I'm trying to lean on God for the patience, because He knows I don't have it in me otherwise. I want to raise patient children and set a patient mood for the home, since kids learn best by observation, I really want this fruit in my life. I want my family to reap the rewards for this planting.
Now, I'm turning onto my oldest, Doodle Bug. She's just started reading chapter books (although she really could've started reading them months ago) so we borrowed a Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew book from the library. She was reading it to us last night and I was amazed at some of the words she was able to decipher. She's so good!! After struggling to read in Kindergarten (our fault, not hers) she is reading way above grade level. It's wonderful!! Feels like we're doing something right for a change :)
Things have gone so smoothly since our Christmas break, and I thank God for it and also hope it's not the calm before the storm.. but even if it is, I know He'll get us through it and around it or over it - whatever it may be. For now, we're just enjoying it, it's wonderful!
No comments:
Post a Comment