Tuesday, June 5, 2012

So excited!

Our homeschool year is coming to a wonderful close and we have some exciting things planned for our last four weeks.

In science, the kids are learning about Oceanography. So far they've learned about the five oceans and the four ocean zones.  It's always amazing to see the things God created in the ocean - fish with luminous organs, 'smoke stacks' billowing with sulpher from inside the earth, and all the amazing plant life living in the darkest coldest depths.

I'm not sure what their final product will be - a lapbook probably. Those are always fun to make.

Next the kids will do a short unit on the reproduction of plants.  We even got a bag full of hydrangeas from a friend the kids are going to disect.  I love hands-on projects!

Finally, and this is the project I'm most excited about, we'll end the year learning about the different types of rocks. The reason I'm so excited about this, is because of this blog: http://www.squidoo.com/homeschool-unit-study-schedule-for-year-1  Scroll down to the Earth Science & Geology unit and look at the amazing ideas this lady has for learning about sedementary, igneous, and metamorphic rocks.  Those who know our homeschooling style know that whenever I can include food in a lesson - I do (I love to cook.. and eat... and it shows... but that's another story).  So the kids will be able to learn about the amazing rocks God created, then do some creative, yummy, and hands-on activities to dig deeper into their exploration.

Cannot wait!!

Before I forget - the kids wrapped up their weather unit last week with their final projects - creating a video about one weather event.  Little Man and Lulu both chose to make videos on hurricanes - but they each had a different take.  Little Man chose to be a teaching meterologist in his video by explaining a little bit about hurricanes.  Lulu decided to make a pretend weather report tracking fictional hurricane Debby from North Carolina to Florida (following a similar path to TS Beryl that landed last week). 

Doodle Bug chose to do her project on thunderstorms.  Which, I'm just now realizing, is totally appropriate for her.  Since toddlerhood, she has been TERRIFIED of thunderstorms.  Since we live in the hot and humid south, said storms are a staple in 5 out of 7 summer afternoons.  Learning about these terrifying storms and exactly how they form, what they do, and what they are has really eased her mind at them. In fact, we've had a few come through in the last few weeks and come to think of it - she wasn't scared a bit.  So, her project on thunderstorms was perfect for her - and she did a good job.  I'm hoping to upload those videos this week and will post them here in my next post. 

That's it for now. Hope and pray you all are doing well.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are all having some fun projects with science.
    Keep it up

    ReplyDelete