Friday, January 13, 2012

Bittersweet Christmas

This Christmas can be summed up in one word: change. A lot of change occurred this Christmas: I became a coffee drinker after years of only liking the smell of coffee (thanks to the wonderfully flavored coffees in the Keurig my hubby bought me), my mom joined us at my in-laws for Christmas lunch (was awesome!), I've entered the world of J-Lo earings (big hoop earnings that is), and we celebrated the first Christmas without my father.

Thinking back to the morning of October 17th when I got that call from my mother still produces a pain likened to being stabbed through the heart. Although a bit less severe, it's still just as raw as it was that dark morning.

But aside from that, we had a very good Christmas. Spent lots of time with family, relaxed, stayed up late, ate too many sweets, baked too many sweets, took lots of pictures. One day I'll share them on here, I promise.

Another interesting thing that occurred over Christmas brea is that the house we're renting is being sold. Long story short, we have amazing landlords - the best ones we've had yet, but somehow the mortgage stipulated our landlord had to reside in the house in order for it to be valid. Once she got married and moved out, she voided the terms of her mortgage. Never had a late payment, never a missed payment, but none the less after months of going back and forth with lawyers, the bank is forcing her to sell. They'll be getting about $20K less than what is still owed, but if that's how the bank wants to be fine.

We've prayerfully considered our options and feel we're being lead to move back in with my mom. We're in the process of helping her clean things out and spruce things up. The house is looking beautiful again. My only reservation is that our kids don't have any friends in that neighborhood. But, we'll just have to put ourselves out there and meet some of the neighbors (something we neglected the 7 years we lived there). There certainly are plenty of kids around.

We're getting caught back up on our home school studies, which is a huge relief for me. Math and writing fell a few weeks behind while science fell a month behind. We're mostly caught up with math and writing and are starting back into science again. It's been crazy, but the Lord has been gracious in allowing us precious time needed to refocus back on school.

Also, I finally completed my AA degree (after 11 years!). It was never easy, never a dull moment, but I'm very glad I finished it - just wish I'd finished it earlier. I'd like to get my BA degree, but only God knows what the future has in store for my life.

Hope and pray you're all doing well.
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment